Apple Pie Bars
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
Yield: 11X7 baking pan
1 1 /4 cup (150 grams) all purpose flour
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
7 tbsp. (70 grams) butter very very soft(almost melted but still in solid form)
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp. water
3-4 big apples (preferably Granny Smith)
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 tbsp. water
2 tbsp. sugar
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
4 tbsp. cold diced butter
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
pinch of salt
To make the crust
- Line a 11X7 pan with parchment paper (I prefer the pan lining paper from Reynolds), leaving some paper hanging over the longer sides.
- In the food processor bowl add the flour, sugar, butter, egg yolk, water. Pulse a couple of times until it forms a ball. if it’s too dry add few more drops of water.
- With floured hands roll the the into the bottom of the prepared pan, with just 1/2 inch on the sides. Cover with plastic foil and chill for 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the topping followed by the filling and heat the oven to 375F.
- When the crust is chilled cover it with parchment paper, fill it with dry beans/uncooked dry rice/baking beads and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the paper and the beans, reduce the oven temperature to 350F and bake for 5 more minutes.
- Cool completely.
To make the topping
- In the food processor bowl (since it’s already dirty from the crust) add all the ingredients and pulse until it comes together. It’s gonna be a very soft dough.
- Place it on a plastic foil, cover with another foil and shape into a 1 inch thick log. Place it in the freezer until ready to use.
To make the apple filling
- Core and slice the apples. Optional you can peel them. I didn't.
- Put them in a sauce pan, along with the sugar, water and cinnamon. Cover and cook over low heat for about 13 minutes or until the slices soften.
- Remove the lid and cook a little more until the liquid evaporates. I didn’t stir at all the apple slices and the bottom ones got a little caramel on them. It was amazing!
- Cool completely.
- When the crust and the filling are cooled, spread the apple slices on top of the crust.
To make the custard
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs with the sugar, and heavy cream. Pour over the apple slices.
- Put the pie in the heated oven (350F) and bake for 25 minutes or until the custard is set.
- Take it out of the oven (without turning off the oven) and grate the topping. I found it’s easier to grate the topping in the food processor so the heat for the hands don’t soften the dough.
- Bake for further 15 minutes.
- Cool completely before slicing.
Share this Recipe
« View More Recipes