Something Special Apple-Cherry Pie
Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 40 mins
Bake: 55 mins
- Pastry for double-crust pie
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds, chopped
- 6 cups thinly sliced, peeled Golden Delicious apples
- 1/3cup cherry preserves
- 1/2cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup frozen unsweetened pitted tart red cherries, thawed
- Prepare and roll out pastry. Line a 9-inch pie plate with half of the pastry. Trim bottom pastry 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Sprinkle toasted almonds on the bottom crust.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss apples with the cherry preserves. In a small bowl, stir together the 1/2 cup sugar, flour, and cardamom. Add to the apple mixture in the mixing bowl; add cherries. Gently toss the fruit to coat.
- Transfer mixture to the pastry-lined pie plate. Cut remaining pastry into 1/2-inch-wide strips for lattice top. Weave over filling and press into bottom pastry. Fold bottom pastry over strips; seal and crimp edge. Brush with milk and sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Cover the edge of the pie with foil to prevent overbrowning. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 25 minutes. Remove the foil. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes more or until the lattice top is golden and the filling is bubbly. Cool the pie on a wire rack.
Servings Per Recipe 8, fiber (g) 4, pro. (g) 6, sodium (mg) 225, carb. (g) 68, cal. (kcal) 481, Fat, total (g) 22
Recipe provided by: http://www.midwestliving.com/
Share this Recipe
« View More Recipes