APPLE CORN CHILI
Prep time: 45 mins
Total time: 45 mins
Serves: 4 servings
Serving size: (495g)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 8 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut to ½“ cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 15-oz can yellow corn, no-salt-added, drained
- 2 red apples, such as Braeburn, Gala or Fuji, chopped (skin on)
- ½ tbsp. ground cumin
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper (if desired)
- 15-oz can black beans, no-salt added, drained and rinsed
- 4.5-oz can diced green chilies, drained
- 2 tsp. sodium-free chicken bouillon
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup reduced-fat sour cream
- ¼ cup fresh, chopped cilantro (if desired)
- In a stockpot, heat 1 tbsp olive oil; add chicken and brown (about 5 minutes). Remove chicken from pan.
- Heat remaining olive oil in same pot; add onions and garlic and sauté until soft.
- Add corn and sauté until golden brown. Add apple, cumin, and cayenne pepper (if desired); cook about 3-4 minutes. Let cool about 5 minutes.
- Set aside about 1 cup of the mixture. Purée remainder in food processor or blender, adding a portion of the water, if needed, and return to pot.
- Add browned chicken, black beans, chiles, bouillon, and water. Bring to boil and simmer about 15 minutes. Chicken should be cooked to 165 ºF.
- To serve, ladle soup in bowls and top with non-puréed portion of apple corn mixture.
Serve with a whole-grain tortilla and an 8 oz glass of fat-free (skim) milk.
Share this Recipe
« View More Recipes