SOURCE: THE MARTHA STEWART SHOW, SEPTEMBER FALL 2007
YIELD: MAKES ABOUT 1 1/2 CUPS
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 pounds assorted apples, peeled, cored, and cut into quarters
- 3 cups apple cider
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, melt butter and add apples. Cook apples until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add cider, bring to a boil, and reduce heat to a simmer. Let simmer, partially covered and stirring occasionally, until soft, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Mash softened apples with a potato masher. Remove from heat and add lemon juice, lemon zest, and cinnamon. Using an immersion blender, puree mixture until smooth.
- Pour apple mixture evenly into a baking dish. Transfer to oven and bake, stirring occasionally, until thickened and reduced, about 3 to 3 1/2 hours. Let cool before serving. Apple butter may be kept, refrigerated in an airtight container, up to 5 days.
Share this Recipe
« View More Recipes