Fruit-based desserts can contribute to making your plate half fruits and veggies. True to their name, Honeycrisp apples are sweet and crunchy, perfectly delicious raw, but also ideal in baking. And their sweetness lends potential to reducing added sugar, as we did with this apple crisp.
Preparation Time: 1 hour
Place rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Place sliced Honeycrisp apples, raisins, and lemon juice in 8″x8″ pan or baking dish; toss. In a bowl, mix remaining ingredients except melted margarine. Add melted margarine and mix until texture is consistent. Sprinkle over apple-raisin mixture. Bake uncovered 45-50 minutes or until apples are tender.
Meal/Photo: Serve with an 8 oz glass of non-fat milk, 3 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, and ½ cup green beans.
Tips on storing and selecting apples
· Look for firm apples, shiny, smooth-skinned apples with intact stems. They should smell fresh, not mushy..
· Refrigerate apples in a plastic bag away from strong-odored foods. Use within 4-6 weeks. · To prevent browning after cutting apples, coat slices in vitamin-C fortified 100% apple juice.
· Apples have no fat, sodium, or cholesterol, and are an excellent source of fiber (5g/apple). Because of the fiber, the fruit’s natural sugars are slowly released into
·the blood stream, helping maintain steady blood sugar levels. The high fiber content in apples promotes satiety, making you feel fuller longer.
· Honeycrisp apples have a sweet, slightly tart flavor great for salads, baking, cooking, and eating as a snack.
· Apples are a natural source of health-promoting phytonutrients, including plant-based antioxidants.
· A medium apple has 80 calories. Leave the peel on for the best nutrient punch—â…” of the fiber and many of the beneficial antioxidants are in the skin.
Total Fat: 10g
Saturated Fat: 1.5g
% of Calories from Fat: 27%
% Calories from Sat. Fat: 4%
Dietary Fiber: 7g
Each recipe serving provides: An excellent source of fiber, and a good source of vitamin C, vitamin B6, potassium, and copper.
Connect with us