Beer-Glazed Sausage and Apples
Makes: 4 servings
Start to Finish 35 mins
- 1 12 - ounce bottle Belgium-style wheat beer
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 14 - 16 - ounce package smoked sausage, such as kielbasa, cut in 3-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium cooking apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 8 small sage leaves
- In a large saucepan combine 1/2 of the beer and the crushed red pepper; bring to boiling. Add sausage and green beans. Return to a simmer, cover and cook 5 to 8 minutes or until beans are tender. Drain. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet melt 1 tablespoon butter; add apples. Cook, turning occasionally, until apples are just tender. Transfer to a platter.
- Add sausage to skillet. Cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides. Add to platter; cover. Drain fat from skillet.
- Carefully add remaining beer to skillet (mixture may foam); stir to scrape up browned bits. Add remaining 1 tablespoon butter, brown sugar, cider vinegar, and orange peel. Bring to boiling; reduce heat and boil gently, uncovered, 5 to 6 minutes or until slightly thickened. Return sausage and green beans to skillet to coat in glaze. Fold in apples. Return to serving platter. Sprinkle with sage. Makes 4 servings.
Servings Per Recipe 4, iron (mg) 2, cal. (kcal) 409, sugar (g) 18, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, Trans fatty acid (g) 0, vit. A (IU) 729, sodium (mg) 1250, Potassium (mg) 237, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 3, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, Folate (µg) 24, fiber (g) 4, sat. fat (g) 10, calcium (mg) 40, Monosaturated fat (g) 10, vit. C (mg) 27, Fat, total (g) 24, chol. (mg) 85, Thiamin (mg) 0, Riboflavin (mg) 0, pro. (g) 15, Niacin (mg) 1, carb. (g) 31
Share this Recipe
« View More Recipes